Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Week 3 in the CTM

Weekly Email 4/24/2012

Howdy everyone,

It's been another great week.  I'm working my tail off, but it is paying off.  I'm at the top of my class for language acquisition and I continue to become a better teacher in Portuguese.  It's a lot of stress, and a lot of crazy activities we have to do, but I know that it will all be worth it when I get to the field and will be able to teach real people.

The food here is really amazing.  A lot of meat, rice, and beans.  I end up having a Taco Salad for almost every meal.  I have probably had more meat (and kinds of meat) than I've ever had before in my life in the last three weeks.  If Tom Perkes is reading this, Guarana is the most amazing drink I have ever had the opportunity of consuming.  Thank you for the tip.

My investigators are progressing and both have committed to baptism.  I know it's not real, but the preparation is.

Last night my Brazilian roommates Elder Nunes and Elder Lima both left for the field.  It was really hard to see them go because Elder Nunes has become one of my best friends.  Sister Fernelius, a sister in my district said "I understand how you feel.  Just because we can't speak with these people doesn't mean we don't have a relationship with them."  It was a very emotional goodbye.  Both of us had tears as we said our final goodbye.  I miss him already but I saw him this morning.

Elder Cook came and spoke at the CTM yesterday.  He said some really great things and had some wonderful insight.  The most noticeable thing about him though, was not what he said, but the fact that every time he said "We love you" or "We are so grateful" I felt that we.  I could feel the love off the Quorum of the 12 Apostles, the First Presidency, and the Savior emanate from him like a fountain.  The quote from his talk I want to share with you is this "What you're doing is the most important thing you can do.  It will bless not just you, but everyone you love.  You will realize one day that this is a seminal experience and everyone in your life will be blessed and protected.  They may still pursue bad things, but this mission will bless them sometime.  This mission is important.  At the end of the Gospels is the only record in the New Testament of the Risen Lord.  His almost exclusive message in that time is to proclaim the gospel.  You are doing that.  You are devoting our lives to this cause.  The most important cause on Earth.  The apostles don't see themselves as better able, but just given the opportunity to be special witness of Jesus Christ.  You have that call for two years."

Quote of the week: Elder Holland once said "Plan right now for the stories you can tell your grandchildren.  That you were so happy and worked your head off, that you felt like a prophet.  Live for the deacons and beehives that don't understand what serving a mission means, and inspire them.  Pierce their hearts and touch their souls."

With love always,

Elder Tyler Andrew Bushman

No comments:

Post a Comment